The decision to divorce, or the knowledge that your spouse wants to divorce, is usually not an easy realization. The life that you know will change. You may have to move to a different home. You may not see your children as often as you are accustomed. These scenarios can sound problematic and scary. O'Connor Family Law, P.C., is here to help you through the difficulties, the decisions and the negotiations that are involved in ending your marriage. We are here to see you through to a solid, enduring and favorable future.
If you have decided to divorce, or your divorce has been delayed by a dispute over a specialized child custody issue, or you cannot come to an agreement with your spouse over property division — you could benefit from the legal knowledge and guidance of a skilled family law attorney. Know that you are not alone if you are experiencing these problems. Very few people can get through a divorce without some level of complexity. Our law firm handles highly complex divorce and same-sex marriage divorce issues. We have extensive knowledge in the many types of disagreements and delays that can occur. We have tried-and-true tactics for helping clients through these difficulties.
In Greater Chicago and surrounding areas in Illinois, the experienced family law attorney who protects your rights — and your investment in your future, and that of your child — is Gail M. O'Connor of O'Connor Family Law, P.C.
Gail M. O'Connor excels as a negotiator for matters that can be worked out in discussions behind the scenes, and as aggressive litigator when a dispute must be resolved in a courtroom. She devotes the entirety of her practice to divorce and family law. She has 18 years of experience and, together with associate attorneys Erin M. Wilson and Michelle Cass, brings a track record of success to resolve your unique circumstance.
As your lawyer, Gail M. O'Connor places special focus on family law practice areas that include:
- Divorce: We handle both uncontested and contested divorces, and legal separations. Even where you are in agreement with your spouse when it comes to dividing up property and caring for your children, you still need a skilled attorney to make sure that your divorce documents protect you from unforeseen problems in the future. In a contested divorce, the parties disagree to varying degrees on one or more major issue which must be resolved. Contested divorce can be negotiated or litigated. Gail M. O'Connor and the attorneys at O'Connor Family Law, PC, are known as strong litigators who guide their clients through difficult transitions.
- Custody and visitation: We understand how difficult it can be to go through child custody and visitation negotiations. As a parent, you want to be there for your child or children as much as possible. You want to guide them through life and be with them for every special moment, as well as for every "everyday" moment. We seek workable child custody and visitation agreements that protect your parental rights and the best interests of your child or children.
- Child support and maintenance (alimony): Will you be paying child support and/or spousal support? Will you be receiving support? Our attorneys protect individuals on both sides of this issue. We can ensure that the amount of support is determined in a fair and appropriate manner. Whether the amount of support is based on W-2 income or hidden income (cash income) needs to be found and determined so you receive your fair share, the attorney's at O'Connor Family Law, PC, know how to get it done for their clients.
- Post-judgment enforcement of your rights: In the event one party is not complying with court orders regarding child custody and/or support, or giving you the property you were awarded in your divorce, our lawyers can help to hold him or her accountable for this responsibility. Even if we didn't represent you for the divorce, we can help secure what you were supposed to receive in the first place.
- Property division: Whether you were the family's main source of income or were a stay-at-home parent who supported the family in other ways, your contribution to the marriage and the marital home is important. When property is divided, it is critical that your attorney understands the vital role that each type of contribution played.
- Specialized divorce issues: These issues can involve determining the value of family businesses, nonmarital assets and complex financial holdings. Your divorce will be different from every other divorce, and our lawyers will always consider the special circumstances that make you and your legal situation unique.
- Specialized custody issues: These issues can arise when a parent wants to relocate with the children, when there are conflicting religious views, when domestic violence has been present or when a parent suffers from drug abuse or alcohol addiction. These special circumstances may result in a deviation from "standard" child custody and visitation arrangements. It is critical in these situations that you have an experienced litigator on your side. You need a strong advocate to present your concerns to the court in an effective manner to ensure that the best interests of your children are always considered to be the most important concern of the court.
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements: While the thought of talking to your future spouse about a prenuptial agreement or talking to your current spouse about a postnuptial agreement may seem like a very uncomfortable discussion, it does not have to be. Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements can provide the framework for productive decisions regarding property division in the event of a divorce.
- Parentage cases for unmarried parents can arise due to paternity actions and other issues that involve a child's upbringing, custody or support. We represent mothers and fathers, helping to protect their rights and staying consistent with the best interests of the child.
- Civil unions and same-sex marriage: Are you and your same-sex partner or spouse ending your relationship? It is the guiding philosophy of O'Connor Family Law, PC, that all people are equal and that sexual orientation and sexual identity should not relegate you to lesser representation. We advocate for all our clients with the exact same zealousness. Your orientation no longer makes you different in the eyes of the law, and it won't be a factor in our representation of your needs and concerns.
- Lawyer-assisted mediation, arbitration and collaborative law: We are well-versed in the methods that are available for resolving your divorce or family law matter. Our versatility in all options means that our clients can have confidence that whatever the legal arena throws our way, we can take on the challenge.
We listen carefully to your wishes and goals, respond with realistic assessments and honest answers to your questions, and offer maximum access to our law firm's expertise throughout the legal process.
Contact O'Connor Family Law, P.C., to arrange your initial consultation. Call 312-445-0577 or send an email message. Se habla español.